Monday, August 04, 2008

Hollyoaks and Hollyhocks

Well... I had a lovely weekend. Busy busy busy as usual. Friday night I went to the gym with Lynn, and then blew all my hard work afterwards by going to the pub and having yet another curry with Mark (I had had one the night before with Sophie!). Oh dear...

Saturday, I had agreed to work the turnstiles at Histon FC for the afternoon. A local radio station called Q103 (who are actually based in the building below where I work) were playing a charity match against the 'Hunks' from the TV programme Hollyoaks. For those of you living in a vacum (like me), its a teen's soap opera, based around a group of hollyoaks ridiculously (unrepresentatively so) good-looking Northern teenagers, with incredibly complicated love lives - imagine Beverley Hills 90210 with scouse accents ;-) Anyway... it absolutely peed with rain right up to the point of kick-off, but that didn't seem to stop several hundred scantily dressed girls from turning out to scream their support (and I really do mean scream) for their favourite Hollyoaks man. As I shivered in my sensible brown corduroy trousers and day-glo goretex jacket, they didn't seem to hear my grim warnings; "you will catch your death of cold"... "do you know I can see your underwear?" as they staggered past in their ill-fitting heels, with their tummies hanging out. And yes.... I AM bitter - me and all the other old ladies that watched them file through from underneath our padded layers ;-). Incredibly, some of them had even turned up with pre-purchased tickets to queue from 9:30am onwards - knowing that the kick-off wouldn't be until 3pm... heh. Oh to be young and *that* enthusiastic about anything! Even the promise of a Tarka Dahl and several pints of Black Dog wouldn't get me standing in the rain for longer than five minutes, and that's saying something ;-) I did have to smile when one particular hottie shimmied through the gates in a white bikini top and little white skirt (perfect for a foreign beach - not so good for a rainy day in Histon), and wanted to know if there were any front row seats?! I hope for her sake that she got noticed by at least one of them! ;-) Sad to say, but I couldn't even be bothered to go over and watch any of the match - I must be losing my MoJo or something.

Saturday evening, the weather cleared up considerably, and Mark and I drove over to Lowestoft to have a BBQ with my Sister, my parents and the boys. Unfortunately this particular evening seemed to go past in a bit of a blur, and for good reason. My Father and I were on the wine - we drank one previously opened bottle of wine in my sister's fridge, and since the bottle that I had donated was not yet cold, we tucked into another bottle of wine that appeared open in Tracy's fridge. Now I am no wine connoisseur, and neither is my Dad... but we thought it was a slightly 'off' bottle of Chardonnay that perhaps my Sister had had open for a while in the fridge. Being the kind of people we are, we ignored the warning signs and drank it anyway, even opening another straight after. Hmmm.... it wasn't until I vaguely heard my sister muttering something about not being able to find her Rhubarb Gin that the penny dropped! We had polished off the lot! Now, having said that I don't have a discerning palette, I can honestly say in my defence that said liquid in no way tasted like Gin or bloody Rhubarb... what a swizz - and fancy decanting it into an unlabelled wine bottle! I like to enjoy my crimes if I have to pay for them... My poor Dad felt a little more worse the wear than I did... but I must admit, the evening did seem to pass very quickly! We did at some point manage to have a conversation re: Tracy's meeting with old Charlie and Camilla though. Can you believe that she actually found him quite alluring? I fear for my Sister - I think she has gone from bad to worse in her tastes in men... although this one is considerably richer, and may have a greater ability to 'outdo' he who shall not be named. Heh... Seriously though - the meeting went well. He was chummy, charming, and seemed genuinely interested in the shop.... I guess these people have a PHD in putting people at ease though.

On Sunday we went over to the Garden Centre in Fritton, and bought a few more plants for the garden - some more unusual plants for us, to try and bring some new colours and types of foliage to the back border in our garden. Alan Titchmarsh eat yer heart out. We went to Fritton House for lunch (delicious roast lamb), and played on the adventure park there for a bit. We went back to Tracy's for a cuppa, then headed off. Last night I really finished off the pigging out over the weekend by making a pizza - something I haven't done for ages. It was quite delicious, even though I say so myself! 

This week am resolving to lay off the booze and the non-Slimming-World foods, and be a good girl. Hang on - is that a pig I see flying past the window? ;-) Off to the gym tonight for me!

Love, Peace and Mother's Ruin... as they say in Fritton.
Hayls
xxxxxxxxx

No comments: